Free Motion Embroidery & Applique - follow on workshop *Newport* 29-10-22
Saturday 29th October 2022 10.00am - 4.00pm This is a follow on workshop from the beginners applique class held on the 01/10/22 - you do NOT need to have attended the first workshop if you already have basic freemotion knowledge. Give us a call if you need more info.
- Free Delivery Available (Over £50)
- Contact Us For International Delivery
Freemotion Embroidery – Creating raw edge applique pictures
Enjoy creating layered freemotion embroidery textile art designs in this workshop focusing on the technique of raw edge applique. This class is ideally suited if you have already learned the basics of freemotion embroidery. This in-depth class covers everything you need to know to move from simple applique designs to more complex layered pictures including image transfer and mirror imaging. You will be guided through each step carefully and methodically to successfully transfer prepared images on paper into wonderfully textured versions in fabric. It’s a great way to use up all those fabric scraps you have been saving at home. You will be taught all the skills needed to make the most out of this fantastic technique and leave the workshop with the knowledge and ability to continue with your own designs in the future. This workshop is taught by Caroline Beddard who is a local textile artist specialising in freemotion embroidery. Please bring along your sewing machine as well as a freemotion embroidery foot, workshop times are 10am – 4pm so don’t forget to bring some lunch.
Images and tracing paper are supplied but you will need to bring the following materials and equipment with you:
- Sewing Machine
- Freemotion embroidery foot
- Two pieces of plain light coloured fabric for the backgrounds, these will need to be of a stable weight fabric like a canvas rather than thin cotton, alternatively you can add an iron-on stabiliser backing to the reverse of a thinner fabric or use a layer of felt underneath. No smaller than 10”x10” each.
- A small variety of fabric scraps to produce the raw edge applique artwork.
- Black thread
- Your usual sewing equipment, tweezers, scissors etc
- Pencil, an erasable pen is also helpful but not essential
Most of these items are also sold at J&B so can be purchased on the day should you wish.
Tutor- Caroline Beddard